Requirements for Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas

passport and us visaThere are two different categories of U.S. visas, which are immigrant and nonimmigrant. Immigrant visas are only issued to foreign nationals who plan on living in the U.S. permanently. Nonimmigrant visas are for foreign nationals who plan on coming to the U.S. on a temporary basis only, whether it be for medical treatment, business, tourism, temporary work, study, or other reasons. If you plan on obtaining a visa, you should consider hiring a family immigration lawyer affiliated with Espinoza Law Offices.

Requirements for Immigrant Visas

An immigrant visa is only issued to foreign nationals who plan on living and working in the U.S. permanently. In many cases, an employer or relative will sponsor that person by filing an application with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Certain applications don’t require a sponsor such as investors, certain special immigrants, and extraordinary ability.

The application will then be forwarded to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas to continue processing and issuance of the immigrant visa to the individual applying.

The intending immigrant must show their immigrant visa at a U.S. port-of-entry before the expiration of their immigrant visa. An intending immigrant can only become a lawful permanent resident once the immigrant visa and all required paperwork has been reviewed and validated by a CBD Officer. To ensure that this process goes smoothly, it is wise to seek the help of immigration lawyers Lakeland FL.

For further information, you can always refer to the USCIS website or the Department of State website.

Requirements for Nonimmigrant Visas

Whether you are looking to get a nonimmigrant or immigrant visa, immigration attorneys Tampa FL can assist. Non-immigrant visas are only issued to foreign nationals that are looking to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis for the following reasons:

  • Medical treatment
  • Temporary work
  • Business
  • Tourism

The type of nonimmigrant visa that is needed is designed by immigration law and will only serve the purpose of travel. Typically, a person will only apply directly to the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad for a tourist or business nonimmigrant visa. However, foreigners looking to enter the U.S. for work or studying purposes may require specific documentation and authorization before they can be deemed eligible to apply for a nonimmigrant visa. Furthermore, you can refer to the USCIS website or the U.S. Department of State website for a listing of all the nonimmigrant visa classifications and requirements.

Additionally, issuance of a visa does not mean that you are guaranteed entry to the U.S. A visa only means that a U.S. consular officer at an American consulate or embassy has looked over your application and determined that you are eligible to enter the country for a certain reason.

How an Attorney Can Help

While an immigration lawyer is not required to obtain an e2 visa green card, it is highly recommended. There are many ways in which an immigration lawyer near Tampa Bay can help you. For example, if you are inadmissible for one or more reasons, an attorney can help you. If you are overwhelmed by the paperwork and don’t want to make a mistake, an immigration attorney can assist you because they have the knowledge and the streamlined systems needed to make sure your application is prepared smoothly.

Another reason why many people rely on immigration attorneys is if they encounter a delay. The U.S. Consulate may fail to act on or approve your application for various reasons which can spark delays. If you are applying for an e2 visa to green card, to avoid delays, you may want to consider hiring an immigration attorney. While an attorney may not have much power in certain circumstances, they may have access to inside inquiry lines where they can inquire about delayed or problematic cases.